Did you know 1 in 3 children of primary school age are overweight or obese?
This statistic is shocking and to combat it in childhood and beyond – we have to start thinking about lifestyle more than just about food.
Here are our top 3 tips on how to be a healthy active role model for your children.
Tip 1: Encourage and teach good nutrition.
- Have regular family meals – it’s not just about what you’re eating, but about how.
- Serve a variety of healthy foods and snacks – we know it can be so frustrating to prepare new things that the kids then refuse to eat – trust us – it’s as much a battle in our house as yours – but it is so important to keep introducing them to new tastes and textures.
- Be a role model by eating healthy yourself – it’s not about going without the treats, but about balance.
- Involve kids in the process of shopping and making meals
Tip 2: Make being active the norm rather than the exception.
- Enjoy outdoor games and bike rides as a family.
- Go for walks in the woods & on the beach – usually the outdoor & active things to do are also the cheapest – so it’s win:win
- Get every member of the family on board including your four-legged friends and spend time with friends who are active too. It will be these memories that stay with your kids forever.
- Don’t feel you have to commit to one way of being active. Try lots of different things and encourage your kids to do the same thing. Take lessons, try classes, walk around the block, do yoga, try a new sport, or just choose to walk over taking the car
- Anything is better than nothing and the most important thing is to have fun – the quickest and easiest way to change behaviour is to associate it with laughter and happiness.
Tip 3: Educate them – give them the knowledge to make good choices for their own futures.
- The best thing you can do is educate your kids as to what is healthy in terms of lifestyle and diet which is why you understanding it first is key!
- Give them options of physical activities to try and get stuck in with them – this about changing lifestyle for the whole family not just the kids.
- Learn about the body and help kids understand the basics about muscle groups, digestion, bones & the link between mental and physical health.
Nobody enjoys calorie counting, nobody enjoys feeling heavy & sluggish – and I don’t know about you, but that’s definitely not a world I want my kids growing up in. So let’s make the change now in our own lives so that our kids can live a life where it’s just normal to get up and move and then we’ll see a societal shift in both physical and mental wellness.
It’s not about creating athletes it’s actually about happiness and we all want that.